Technical Assistant – Eco-Arts Salons and Community Environmental Arts Projects
Application Deadline: April 30, 2011
Organization Name: Community Arts Council of Vancouver
Are you experienced with connecting any computer with any projector? Do you love problem-solving? Great at explaining to non-teckies how to prepare material in a way that it’s easy to share?
If so, we need you for our community-engaged environmental art projects and eco-arts salons!
We run a monthly Eco-Arts Salon at the Roundhouse and we need making sure our guest artists are able to share their visual presentation with the audience. We have a projector and can provide a laptop if needed. We like to have a slide show going when people come in of photos of previous projects; then a short intro/illustrated talk about the CACV and then switch to a presentation by the guest artist. Switching between these seamlessly; working with the artist in advance to receive their information and then testing their presentation before the session starts. Also the basics of setting up the projector, putting it away and helping with low-tech issues like the lights and sound in the room!
Just as important, we have a mission to build awareness and knowledge about the field of environmental arts and how engagement can intersect with community building and environmental activism. There are some fabulous environmental artists in and around the Vancouver area and part of our goal is to promote and support their work – directly through showcasing them at our salons and indirectly by sharing their news through our social media network.
The technical assistant will be responsible for:
– ensuring guest artist is supported in showing their visual slides in a form that works for our computer
– setting up the projector and knowing its “in’s and out’s” for connecting with different computers; formats, etc.
– handling shifts from the 3 different presentations; being the assistant to the artist during their presentation to move to next slide etc.
– if requested by artist, to do some preparation and follow-through to post presentation or support other post-salon requests of the artist or CACV.
Be part of a great team: The Eco Arts Team meets 5:30-6:30pm on the 4th Wednesday before the Eco-Arts Salon. You’ll be part of the team to plan our future events and invite artists to participate. All Eco-Arts volunteers are asked to attend at least every second meeting.
You can also be involved with (optional)
– Preparing powerpoint or slide presentations on our community-engaged environmental arts projects
– Teach others how to use projector and set up slide presentations.
What you’ll get out of the experience:
– CONNECTIONS: You’ll meet great people who are creative and passionate about the environment-art-community intersection and know you’re helping them to spread the good word.
– EXPERIENCE! You’ll be demonstrating your skill, reliability, attention to detail and team work – and all of that looks great on a resume!
LEARNING: You’ll have opportunities to extend your knowledge about the art practice of community-engaged environmental art.
Bonus! You’ll feel great at the end of the day because you’ve worked on a project that aims to increase engagement with this growing field of art practice. How’s THAT for beefing up the old resume?
Think you’ve got what it takes? Check out the skills you’ll need for this position below:
Skills & Characteristics Required:
– A passion for both environment and arts
– Experience creating and presenting slide shows from a variety of platforms including powerpoint
– Familiar with projectors and able to connect with youtube; websites; jpeg folders as well as prepared presentations using powerpoint.
– Understand the complexity of different options for cables, formats, programs that a variety of people might use
– A great problem-solver who can take hold of a situation and make it work – one way or another.
– Responsible and self-motivated
– Reliable, focused and organized
– Experience working as part of a team
– Work well with other volunteers, contributing your expertise while respecting others’ contributions.
Time Investment – 8 hours per month, including attending Eco-Arts Salon.
Duration – minimum: 4 months (We hope it’ll be longer!)
If this sounds like an opportunity you’re interested in, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Orientation session and Volunteer manual available.
Initially some time will be spent at the office and meeting other key volunteers.
Afterwards, much of the work can be done by remote.
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: (604) 682-0010