Snake in the News
Metro Vancouver cover photo February 8
on Breakfast TV with Dawn Chubai and on Shaw TV
Lunaria snake and artist Jacquie Rolston were interviewed on CBC On the Coast February 8.
Have you sighted our snakes in the media? Please comment below!!
Snake on the Move
Monday Jan 21 Snake slithers along Gore and Keefer from Firehall to Garden.
Follow our flickr account to see photos of the snake lantern as it was constructed and then where it was shown for the Winter Solstice. Artist Jacquie Rolston and children, accompanied by drummers, took the snake out for a trip around the garden at the Winter Solstice event.
Our new snake lantern designed by Jacquie Rolston and created at our Eco-Arts Salon December 11, 2012, had its first public appearance at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden on Winter Solstice, December 21, 2012. Click here to see a 12 second video clip.
The Snake is coming !
2013 Lunar New Year is the Year of the Water Snake
Community Arts Vancouver in partnership with Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden and other community partners are planning a series of events to engage with community members celebrating the lunar new year.
- Dec. 11: Our Eco-Arts Salon included Snake Lantern-making and poems and stories about snakes. View live tweets from the event and photos. Photos by Ivan Yastrebov can be found on our flickr page.
- Dec 21: Winter Solstice @ Vancouver Chinese Garden. Our Snake lantern will be on display at the garden while people also add a dash of colour to our now traditional white cube lantern to transform it into a multi-coloured, mosaic.
- Jan 14-18, 2013: Workshops with Alastair Heseltine to create snake sculptures for installation at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Garden. All welcome! The resulting art works will be installed in the Garden
- February 8: International Village 3pm – Lunaria Snake (and artist Jacquie Rolston) will be interviewed by Michelle Elliot of CBC On the Coast.
- February 10: Granville Island will have their annual lunar new year event and we hope to bring our Snake Lantern down for you to greet. 10:30am-12:30pm
- February 17: Parade with us and Garden participants in the Chinatown Lunar New Year parade. The parade starts at 11am at the Chinatown Gates and goes for about 2 hours.
Watch for the Dictionary of Snakes CD Launch in March or April, 2013. We are hoping to collaborate with Hilary Peach, Alex Varty and Victory Anthony in their launch of this two-year project. Stay tuned or search for “snake” at cacv.ca
Sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org will reach our volunteer team. We have volunteer opportunities on this project. Let us know how you’d like to be involved.