Immediately to the east of Christchurch Cathedral is the Cathedral Place tower. This is the former location of the Georgia Medical Building, Vancouver’s first art deco skyscraper completed in 1929, by the architects John McCarter and George Nairne who also built the Marine Building. The structure featured medical, religious and mythological symbols around the main entrance including three 11-foot high terracotta statues depicting nursing sisters of the First World War. Despite the intense bid, the Georgia Medical Building was demolished and replaced by Cathedral Place. Modern adaptations of the art deco style and replicas of the Nursing Sisters, the religious and mythological elements of the McCarter/Nairne design can have been included in the new design. In 1989, the City of Vancouver awarded CACV a Heritage Award in recognition of their campaign to save the building.