Poetry Development Project
Spoken Word Poets, have you ever considered what it means when someone else reads your words out loud?
CACV is piloting a new program where spoken word poets interested in getting their work published are offered an opportunity to have their work read by trained readers, and workshopped by a panel of industry professionals. Honorariums will be paid to participating poets. The goal is to help spoken word poets translate their words from the stage to the page.
Selected poets will participate in a livestream event, where a panel of publishers, authors, writers, and performers can support their work, fine tune their editing, and provide insight to all viewers on the editing and publishing process.
The livestream event will take place Monday July 20, 2020.
- Email a single document that includes:
- The text of 1 poem
- Brief artist bio (200 word max), please include publication history
- Limit of 1 submission per spoken word artist
- Poems length should range between 2-5 minutes spoken
- Email submissions to: email@example.com with the subject line “Poetry Development Project Submission – (your name)”
- Submission deadline: Monday, July 6. 2020
- Artists are residents of Vancouver
- Artists have had no prior publishing experience, or are new to publishing their work
- Poems need to be original works, and not previously published in a book, manuscript, anthology in print or online (social media posts are eligible).
- Submissions must not contain hate speech.
- Poets must be available for the livestream workshop on Monday, June 29, 2020